Monday, June 2, 2014

Guest Blog for Midwest Dairy: Memorial Day "...Gave Proof Through the Night That Our Flag Was Still There..."


 
For about the past decade every time I hear our famous ‘National Anthem’, I can’t make it through the whole song without bowing my head and tears running down my face.  The National Anthem has become so personal to not only me, but my family, that this song strikes a chord so deep in my soul that I am moved every time I hear that first note.  Why?  Well, let me show you:
(Left to right: Captain Justin Johnson of the United States Army, Petty Officer First Class Jeremy Johnson of the United States Navy, and Sergeant Joshua Johnson of the United States Marine Corps).
All 3 of my brothers proudly served, and are still serving, this amazing country.  Each of my brothers felt it was their duty to proudly stand-up and fight for our freedom.  They have endured the grueling process of basic training, they all bravely fought next to their fellow comrades over in Iraq /Afghanistan, or aboard a submarine miles beneath the ocean’s surface, and they have mourned the loss of a fallen fellow soldier.
I am a Dairy Farmer that proudly feeds this country, while they fight for it.  But, I will never be able to say to my brothers, “I understand,” because I have never served in our armed forces.  But this upcoming October, I get an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to “fall in” next to them.  All three of my brothers, my dad, my husband, and myself are all registered for the 39th Annual Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C.  On that morning, instead of lacing up their military-issued boots and getting their combat gear on, we will be lacing up our running shoes and pinning our bib numbers on our shirts.  35,000 runners will weave their way through the monuments throughout this nation’s capital.  With each breathe, foot-fall, and heartbeat we will run together as comrades and cross the finish line in Arlington National Cemetery to pay our respects to those that paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
Memorial Day is a day specifically set aside in our busy lives when we take the focus from ourselves, and put it back on the true heroes of this country:  the men and women that have fought, struggled, and even died to protect this country.  It is a feat that many have endured, but it seems that few even say “thank you” for it anymore.
So on this Memorial Day, I challenge you to do something to show that honor and respect to our military that they all deserve.   Take a moment, pause, and remember: “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it.  It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.”- Author Unknown
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment