Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dairy Dish and Dash?!?

What is Dairy Dish and Dash?  I have been pondering a name for almost 2 years now and I could never come up with a name that described me in a few quick words.  I am a dairy farmer, I am a mom, I am a wife, I love to cook, love to run, love to read, love to travel, but do just any one of those words really describe me?  So, here is why.
Dairy:  Obviously being a dairy farmer, but that's not it.  My husband is a 4th Generation Dairy Farmer, which means my children will be the 5th.  There is a long line of legacy and heritage there that we are so extremely proud to represent.  I have always had a passion for agriculture, just didn't know that the word dairy would be in-front of farmer.  I majored in Equine Science (horses) in college and wasn't sure what direction that would take me, but it led to me to the perfect fit, with the perfect life, and the perfect family.  But, how was an Equine Major going to fit in on a dairy farm?!?  Well, probably the best spot, the babies!  I am responsible for all the calves on the farm which I absolutely love, and I think it just comes natural to me.
Dish:  Dish has multiple meanings.  The obvious is cooking, but also to dish is to talk.  I love to talk, to listen, to socialize, and interact with people.  People are fascinating and everyone has a story to tell.  My husband has always said that I get 'dumped on' from people that are always asking for my advice, but I don't see it that way.  I see it as listening because everyone just wants to be heard and know that they matter, so lets dish together!  On the cooking side, I love to cook, and I have complied quite a few recipes that are absolutely delicious that mostly follow my rule (6 ingredients or less), and will be sharing those recipes on this blog, so stay tuned for the first one!
Dash:  Oh, to dash...to run frantically after something.  This stage in my life, I feel like every day is a dash.  With 4 very active children, 2 still toddlers, I feel like all day long I am constantly running: to school, to sports, to church, to activities, to get supper, to fold the laundry, to the dairy, to pick up the mess before anyone falls in it, to grab that darn sippy that we forgot to take with in the car, (insert your own here).  I am a mommy and that means responsibilities are high and time always seems hurried.  But, also to dash, is to RUN!  I have been running off and on ever since college and between each of my 4 pregnancies because it is 'my time' to be 'me'.  I have done some races, but I don't run for the medals, or the cool outfits, or the newest gadgets, or the hype of running.  I run mostly because I CAN!  Running will change your life.  I am very fortunate that my family are all runners and we all do various length races (Kids Marathons, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Full Marathon) and Andrew and myself have registered for the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington D.C. in October so here's to a new experience!

So why Dairy Dish and Dash...because as simply as I could, that describes me.  What describes you?
 

10 comments:

  1. so glad to see you are up and running! I am working on it but frustrated. Can't wait to follow you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get frustrated! You have amazing stories and I loved hearing them. Can't wait to see and read yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen you are a Rock Star!!! Not even 24 hours and you are up and running! Super duper excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thanks, Brenda! I have been thinking and chewing on it for 2 years so finally just jumped in and did it! You next?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about what I should write about. It is crazy that the smallest things makes me think, I could write about that. So yes, I gave myself a week to get it together. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I think that is what a blog is. People want to know about your life and it's the little things that make it so great!

      Delete
  5. It makes perfect sense to me!

    MCM in October?! That's amazing. I would love to run that marathon someday. It's beyond special that you & Andrew plan to both run it. I know October is a ways away, but happy training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lisa! The mileage that you're running, sounds like you are ready to run a marathon! MCM is actually my brother (who is in the army so he is already registered and doesn't have do through the lottery), my dad, my other brother (who is a former marine), Andrew, and myself all running the full marathon together. We are all hoping we get in and find out in a few weeks.

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, I hope you do all get it! I think you should all be able to run w/ your bro, but I suppose the race can't let everyone's family in automatically or it would fill with just them.

      My plan is actually to do a local marathon this spring, so I hope I can keep up the miles!

      Delete
    3. Good Luck on your marathon this spring! Let me know any tips or advice you have!! We find out on March 15th if we got in.

      Delete