Monday, March 10, 2014

Easy-Peasy Microwave Caramel Popcorn Recipe!

I have come to realize that I am not that great of a cook.  I don't like to be in the kitchen for hours trying to invent new recipes and I really don't understand half the terms/lingo that are associated with cooking.  But, I really do love to cook.  I especially like to hear the compliments that something that I have made was a 'thumbs up' from my kids and that they think I'm the "greatest cook in the world".  I can serve up some pretty good food (so my husband says).  So, how can I cook great food if I am not a great cook?  Well, I am an amazing copy-cat and recipe stealer!  My mom gave me her 1982 cookbook from my hometown of Oakes, ND, and it is my 'Go-To' cookbook for everything. Then,  two Christmas's ago, my mother-in-law gave me her families favorite recipes when my husband was growing up all written up on cute index cards.  So I sat down the next day, got out my little wooden recipe box with the alphabetical food categories (that I had never used before) and organized all the recipes that I have "stolen" over the years from various people.  But, maybe stolen isn't the right word, maybe borrowed?  All you really have to do is ask!  Anywhere from Graduation Open Houses, to Bridal Showers, to Church Potlucks, or even just friends getting together over an amazing meal.  So not one of these recipes are my originals.   They are all from family and friends, so THANK YOU!


I am going to start off with one of my families favorite snacks and it was just recently discovered when we were at friends house.  Their mom LOVES to cook and play Hostess for people and she does a phenomenal job!  She has 2 grown daughters and they have picked-up that trait from her, therefore they LOVE to cook (and boy, oh, boy can they COOK!)  So whenever I am around those friends, I know that what they cook is going to border-line gourmet and most of the time I have never had anything like it in my life!

My family loves air-popped popcorn and being dairy farmers we really slather on the butter making it almost drip when you scoop it out of the bowl (exactly like the movie theater popcorn....mmmmm).  But, I have never made caramel popcorn.  The reason why is most of the time making 'caramel' of any kind involves standing at your stove, bringing the caramel to a slow boil, and constantly stirring it for 30 minutes while it cooks.  Well, who has time for that?  Usually I end up scalding it, or it doesn't set-up properly so then it turns into a really great ice cream topping.  But, if you can run a microwave, you can do this!

Ingredients:

Air Popped Popcorn (if you don't have an air-popper, go spend the $15 to get one!  It is so much more healthier and tastes better than bag microwave popcorn!)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar (can use a little more if you like it sweeter)
15 Large Marshmallows
1 stick Butter

First, make 1 batch of air-popped popcorn in a really big bowl.  While it is popping, throw all the other ingredients into a microwave safe (don't even stir it or anything) and cook it for 2 minutes, 15 seconds.  When microwave beeps, stir it up really good so all ingredients mix, then pour half over the first batch of popcorn.  Make another batch of popcorn and pour remaining caramel over it.  Stir really well with a big spoon and ENJOY!


Recipe Variation:  A trick I learned is if you want the caramel to taste more toffee-like, put it in the microwave for the 2:15, stir, then put it in for another minute or two. (I stumbled upon that while I was cooking up a whole lot of caramel corn for the Corn Chopping Crew last summer and 'accidentally' overcooked it...)

This recipe is SO easy to make and I have yet to ruin it.  Tweak it as you want, and let me know if you come up with other 'Recipe Variations'!!!

********Special Thanks to the Sheppard Family for the Recipe!

2 comments: