Thursday, March 13, 2014

"It's Time to Fall In!"

"Its Time to Fall In" is the slogan that the 39th Annual Marine Corp Marathon is using this year.  The race will be on October 26th, in Washington D.C. and Andrew, my three brothers, my dad, my mom, and myself have all filled out our full marathon registrations.  Justin, an officer in the Army, is still in active duty so he got to fully register already.  But the rest of us, had to go into a lottery system which closes on March 15th at noon.  Why a lottery system?  Because last year, the race sold out in less than an hour after registration opened.  So on March 19th, they will announce via e-mail on whether each runner gets the chance to 'Fall In' or not.

But you may be asking "Why out of all the marathons to run, why are you running the Marine Corp Marathon?"  Well, let me show you:

From Left to Right, My Brothers:  Joshua (Marine), Justin (Army), and Jeremy (Navy)

I am a very proud military sister!  Each one of my brothers have proudly served in the military.  My oldest brother Electricians Mate First Class Petty Officer Jeremy Johnson, served 10 years in the Navy in various occupations/bases all over the nation and the world.  He spent a lot of his time in a submarine and we had no idea in the world where he actually was, other than the ocean.  I remember on the infamous September 11th, and the attack on the Twin Towers, Jeremy was stationed on a nuclear submarine that was "Battlestations- Missiles Ready to launch their nuclear payload" (one of the many times my sister-heart stopped).  He is the older brother that I proudly look up to where he did "Accelerate His Life"!


Justin, my younger brother, is currently Captain Justin Johnson of the United States Army.  He is currently serving in Fort Benning, GA.  He has served 3 tours over in Iraq/Afghanistan and his proudest thing that he says is "I brought all my Joes home safe!"  This is a picture of him actually over in Iraq, and let me tell you, as a sister, I don't think there is anything harder than knowing your brother is over there fighting for our freedom.  From jumping out of airplanes in the 82nd airborne, leading his Joes into battle, firing armor tanks, and teaching all kinds of tactics, Justin is a true 'Soldier'.  He inspires me to push harder and "Be All I Can Be"!


Then my youngest brother, Sergeant Joshua Johnson of the United States Marine Corp.  He served his 4 years in the military completing 3 tours of duty in Iraq.  Josh had various jobs over there, two of which were 'security' and the last was a mechanic fixing all the Humvees and 7 Tons that they took out on patrols.  Josh proudly volunteered/stepped up when he was called upon and proudly represented himself, his country, and his fellow marines.  He epitomizes strength, honor, and loyalty as being one of "The Few, The Proud, The Marines"!


Lastly, my brother-in-law, James Holle enlisted in the United States Army Reserves and he too was sent overseas to the war in Iraq to do Aerial Recon.  This is a picture where he surprised us by showing up to the farm after he got back from Iraq safe and sound!  It was a great surprise!!!




I am the only sister with 3 brothers, now 4 military brothers (I will claim James!).  At one time, all four of my military brothers were 'active' and at least one of them was over at the war overseas.  I never did serve in the military, and some people have said to me "Why didn't you join the Air Force?  Then you would've had every branch of the military covered?!"  So, farming isn't the same as military???  Just kidding....well, this is what Justin and his guys came up with for a 'Redneck' vehicle in Fort Polk, LA!


Here is Justin In Iraq on one of his tours (looks pretty bad-a** doesn't he...doesn't even look like my brother when I see photos like this):




Obviously, the military wasn't the path I chose, but I think that if you cut me I might bleed red, white, and blue.  There are no words that can describe the pride and overwhelming gratitude that wells up inside of a family member of someone who is in the military.  I have been to every single one of my brothers Boot Camp Graduations and stood there with tears streaming down my face as they proudly marched by in formation, straining to find their face in the crowd.  I can remember every single one like it was yesterday.  I have spent countless hours on the phone or e-mail talking to them when they were in Iraq, putting together a 'Care Package' full of stuff they love from home, anxiously waiting on the 'Green Ramp' for their plane bringing them safely home from war, or picking them up at the airport to surprise my parents from Iraq.  It is hard to be the supporting role sometimes because most of the time I don't know what to say when I am listening to their stories/experiences because I cannot relate in any way.  I have no military training, I have never gone overseas to fight in a war, I have never had to lose a friend/comrade overseas who was fighting next to you, or any of the other things they have had to do.   But, part of me kinda wishes I would have, just to be able to put my hand on their shoulder and say "I get it".

This is Josh (Marine) and Justin (Army) over in Iraq and they were at two separate Camps that were close enough together that they got one chance to see each other!  How amazing is that to see your brother in a war?!?
So, why the Marine Corp Marathon?  First, it is on my Dad's bucket list and he has always wanted to run it because they lived in Virginia for a short time when they were first married and he has always wanted to go back.  Second, Justin has become a 'marathoner' and is trying to qualify for Boston someday and he always wanted to do this race.  Third, my whole family of runners decided it was time to do a full marathon together.  And Finally, for 26.2 miles I think I might try to pretend that for just a few hours, I can finally relate, in one little miniscule, tiny way, just a little more to my brothers.   See the comradery between a group of 'soldiers' in this picture.  That is a feeling that you cannot describe, and maybe for a moment, I can be a part of it!



So in a few days, I get to find out if my family and I get the chance to "Fall In" together and do something I have never had the chance to do.  We will all fly into Washington D.C., the Capital of our Nation, to proudly line-up on a starting line that will weave its way through all the national monuments that is mostly military based.  So with every foot fall and breath, I will immerse myself in what this country stands for!  Does it get any better than that?  It's definitely MY TIME to "Fall In" next to my brothers and family and finally share an amazing 'military' experience with them!

3 comments: